Battling the Storm Within

Friday, February 27, 2015

Baylor Research Finds First Direct Evidence of Gene-Exposure Link in Gulf War Illness

                           
 
           Thousands of service men and women are affected by the condition 24 years later
 
WACO, Texas (Feb. 27, 2015) — February 28 marks the 24th anniversary of the cease fire that ended the 1991 Gulf War, also known as Operation Desert Storm. But the end of the war signaled the beginning of a new struggle for thousands of service men and women—their personal battle with Gulf War illness (GWI).

This debilitating condition is estimated to affect more than 200,000 Desert Storm veterans, with studies indicating that few have recovered, or even substantially improved, in the 24 years since the war. The long-term effects have brought difficult challenges for veterans and their families, who continue to seek answers about the causes of GWI and treatments that can improve their health.

Read more....

http://www.baylor.edu/mediacommunications/news.php?action=story&story=152600

Learn More...

www.battlingthestormwithin.com

2 comments:

Unknown said...

HI. MY NAME IS SHANNON TATKENHORST. I WAS AN E-4 IN THE AIR FORCE FROM 88-92. I WAS WITH THE 62ND APS AT MCCHORD AFB, WA. I WAS DEPLOYED TO KING FAUD,SAUDI ARABIA, JUST AS THE WAR ENDED, TO LOAD AND SHIP CARGO AND VEHICLES BACK HOME. I TOOK THE EARLY OUT IN JULY OF 92. IN AUG OF 93 I NOTICED A TWITCH IN MY RIGHT PINKY FINGER. THINGS GOT WORSE AND EVENTUALLY WAS DX WITH PARKINSON'S DISEASE, WHICH I BELIEVE I GOT BY BEING EXPOSED TO A TOXIC CHEMICAL WHILE IN SAUDI ARABIA. OUR GOVT HAS YET TO ADMIT TO ANY SUCH CASE, BUT I HAVE FILED FOR BENEFITS FOR THE 2ND TIME.WAS DX AS PD BUT STILL THINK IT FALLS UNDER THE GWI.

Sgt. Stephanie J. Shannon said...

Hello Shannon,

Nice to meet you sorry about the delayed response I didn't see your reply. I totally know how the dead the suffering is from the GWI. It is unfair that we have to fight for our healing. I was wondering if you are in need of any veteran advocate services and support. If so please send me an email:
(battlingthestormwithin@yahoo.com)
May God bless you! Stephanie