Battling the Storm Within

Thursday, January 17, 2019

Abandoning the tribe: The psychology behind why veterans struggle to transition to civilian life

Abandoning the tribe: The psychology behind why veterans struggle to transition to civilian life
I had seen the cliff coming for six months before I eventually fell off it, and I thought I had prepared myself well for the fall. I was wrong. Having spent the preceding 14 years in the army, the last five with special operations, I was looking forward to a slower-paced and simpler life with my young family. As a doctor, job prospects post-army were good and promised wages significantly higher than what I had been earning during my military service. We would be moving back to a newly built house in my wife’s hometown, which meant more social support for the family. I had accumulated a significant amount of leave, which would allow me to ease back into civilian life without the pressure of needing to immediately find work.



No comments: